Best Time to Move: NOW (With Craig’s Help)
The market is hot and you knew you’d have to act fast! That townhouse in Fairfax you’ve coveted for years just went on the market, and it was meant to be yours. It had to be. Scheduled an appointment with a realtor to see that corner unit in the hippest, most up-and-coming neighborhood in northern Virginia, CHECK. Perfect doesn’t even begin to describe this townhouse: Three bedrooms, tons of natural light, the perfect yard for the garden you want to plant.
Offer submitted, CHECK. Yours was the first, and the most competitive.
Offer accepted, CHECK. Contract signed, CHECK. Closing date set, CHECK.
Get excited. You’re moving!
You did it. You bought a townhouse. And now you have to move. In six weeks, you’ll close on the house, and in eight weeks, the lease on your apartment is up. Eight weeks filled with purging, and packing, and cleaning, and loading the truck, and unloading the truck, and cleaning, and unpacking, and purging: It’s going to be a long eight weeks, and it might be a little stressful, but there’s no time like the present.
Now is the best time to move!
And hey, because we’re here to make your life (and your move) a little easier, Craig Van Lines has put together a detailed moving checklist.
- Schedule an appointment with one of our experienced movers today — that is, eight weeks before your move. We’ll look at your stuff, and consider the distance; we’ll talk about your packing and storage needs, and then we’ll provide a comprehensive moving plan, as well as an estimate.
- Change your address. You’ll need to contact the US Postal Service so they can begin to re-route your mail, as well as your bank, your insurance provider, your credit card companies, and anyone else who might need to reach you by pony express.
- Purge. Sell what you can. Donate what you can’t. And throw away, or recycle anything else you don’t need, or can’t use. Go through each room in your current apartment, and ask yourself “Will this have a purpose in my shiny new townhouse, or is it going to continue to sit in a box?”
- With four weeks remaining until the big day, give Craig Van Lines a call. Maybe you got rid of more stuff than you realized you might, or maybe you just couldn’t wait to start buying furniture, and there’s more to move than before: We need to know.
- Pack. The earlier you begin to pack, the better off you’ll be. Books, knick-knacks, out-of-season clothes: All of these things can be packed way in advance, and doing so will save you a lot of stress in the long run.
- Schedule a date to have utilities and amenities shut off or transferred out of your name. Know when, where, and to whom you’ll need to return cable boxes and Internet modems, as well as how and when you’ll turn in your apartment keys.
- Make last-minute preparations. All of your boxes should be sealed and labeled, and FRAGILE items should be marked as such. Come moving day, you’ll be glad we know what’s what, and what should go where.
Finally, it’s time to get moving!
Even if you’ve hired the experienced movers at Craig Van Lines, your presence is crucial to the success of your move. But don’t worry: We’ll do all the heavy lifting.